If you’re traveling to the Middle Kingdom and you’re already subscribed to NordVPN — or are thinking of signing up to the VPN — what you really need to know is whether NordVPN works in China. The simple answer to that is yes, but there are a few things you should know before you connect via the VPN in China.
The Chinese government implements some of the most sophisticated censorship the world has seen. Most Western content is blocked, popular social media apps have been replaced with their Chinese counterparts and you can be sure everything is monitored (though it doesn’t apply to Hong Kong…yet). The good news is that NordVPN can safely circumvent all of the restrictions.
How Does NordVPN Work in China?
By using a VPN, you’ll get unfettered internet access, but not many providers will be a good VPN for China. NordVPN’s high security makes it one of the best VPN services for tackling Chinese VPN and internet restrictions.
You can tunnel out of China with one of NordVPN’s thousands of standard VPN servers, but its specialty servers offer more punch (read our NordVPN review).
You get the use of its Double VPN and Onion over VPN servers, which are great for privacy, but its obfuscated servers are the best for bypassing the Great Firewall. The obfuscated servers encrypt your VPN connection while making it look like any other internet connection. That means NordVPN will help you bypass the Chinese government’s deep packet inspection.
How to Download NordVPN in China
NordVPN is easy to download and install, but the VPN’s website is blocked in China. That means you should set up NordVPN before you arrive in China.
All you need to do is choose one of NordVPN’s plans, enter an email address and pick your preferred payment method.
Next, download and install the NordVPN app for your device. Note that NordVPN allows six simultaneous connections, so you can download its VPN apps for your different devices.
Once NordVPN is installed, simply log in and the VPN is ready to connect.
How to Use NordVPN in China
Before you get internet access via NordVPN in China, you need to make sure you’re completely secure. Go to the VPN’s settings menu at the top right. Then, go to “kill switch” in the left menu, turn on the “internet kill switch” and click “yes.”
Next, go to “advanced” in the left menu and turn on “obfuscated servers.”
Now you need to connect to a server outside of China to access blocked content and services. By clicking on “obfuscated servers” in the left bar, it’ll connect you to a recommended server. To connect to a specific country with NordVPN, simply scroll through the list underneath or use the interactive map.
Once NordVPN is connected, it’ll say “protected.”
Now you can access content that’s blocked in China — including social media and services, such as Netflix — and stay protected while doing so (we also have a dedicated guide on how to watch Netflix in China). If you have a problem with accessing anything with NordVPN, repeat the above steps to connect to a different VPN server. We also have a guide for if NordVPN is not connecting.
How to Use NordVPN in China
- Sign up for and download NordVPN before arriving in China
- Turn on NordVPN’s kill switch and obfuscated servers
- Connect to an obfuscated server outside of China
- Access the content and services you want
- If there’s a problem, connect to another VPN server by repeating the steps above
Only the best VPNs are capable of getting past the Great Firewall, including ExpressVPN (read our guide on how to use ExpressVPN in China). With NordVPN, China’s blocks are not an issue. You just need to make sure you download the NordVPN app before you arrive and connect to an obfuscated server for the best result.
If you’d like to explore other options, check out the guide we made on the best VPN for China.
Have you used NordVPN as a VPN for China? Let us know in the comment section if the VPN worked for you. As always, thank you for reading.
- VPN apps are banned in China, with the exception of Chinese and government-approved VPNs, but those are monitored. VPN apps with good security -- like NordVPN -- can work in China unnoticed. However, you can be fined if you’re caught using VPNs in China.
- Many VPNs just don’t have what it takes to bypass the Great Firewall. However, some VPN providers are dedicated to ensuring users in China can safely connect to the internet, and these VPNs offer great support. You now know that NordVPN works in China, but you can also use ExpressVPN in China.
- Yes, you can use NordVPN in China, but you need to follow the steps in this guide to ensure you’re secure while doing so. You can use NordVPN’s 30-day money-back guarantee to see for yourself.
- NordVPN is one of the top choices in our best VPN services for China roundup, so you’re in good hands.