Gone are the days when emails were the only option for sharing files, and people got frustrated about not being able to send large files because of attachment restrictions.
Today, we have several file sharing apps available that make the process a piece of cake. And, a few of these come with zero file attachment restrictions and enable secure file sharing, which is a major concern of many.
So, let’s take a peek at why you should consider a file sharing app, choose one that best suits your needs, and find the top free file sharing apps you haven’t heard of yet.
The Benefits of Free File Sharing Apps
The main advantage of free file sharing apps is that you don’t need to spend additional money to share, it’s also possible to use them to send files from anywhere, even while on the move. With cross-platform compatibility common these days, many apps can empower you to share data across a personal set of devices, such as:
- Desktop PCs
Thus, these apps can serve as good alternatives to dedicated data backup services, some of the file sharing apps even allow you to view photos from a local storage disk and play music or video files.
How to Choose a Free File Sharing App?
It’s first important to understand the various platforms and operating systems across which you will be able to share files using personal devices. You then need to determine the largest file you’ve shared till date and define the maximum file size limit accordingly.
Moreover, if you frequently share sensitive or highly confidential data, then opt for a service that offers secure file transfers. Secure apps will use features such as encryption and password-protection, and some free file sharing apps may also offer certain premium services.
Hence, look for an app that does not require you to share credit card or other payment details, while enrolling for the free file sharing portion of the service.
If you want to preview or playback media files every now and again, choose an app that has those features. You may even want to check out which types of files can be previewed, before choosing the app. Another major factor worth considering, when choosing the right app, is the requirement of having a mobile data connection to transfer files on-the-go.
Sending large files from a mobile device can be costly, and you should go for an app that helps reduce on expenditure. At the same time, you need an app that’s capable of achieving file transfers in a jiffy, by offering optimum speeds.
Now that you understand what to look for when choosing an ideal file sharing app, let’s check out the top five free file sharing apps which you may not have heard about.
ShareIt can easily transfer files of any size across multiple operating systems. To start using this app, you just need to highlight the files you wish to share and click on the “Send” option.
You can even start sharing data between a PC and phone, without a mobile data connection by pairing the two devices using a QR code provided by ShareIt’s PC app. The smart sharing app is also able to automatically identify music or video files.
- Clean and easy-to-use interface
- Send & share multiple large files
- File sharing & transfers on devices faster than Bluetooth
- Transfer files without an internet connection, via automatic wireless sync
- Doesn’t compromise privacy of users
- Transfers SMS, videos, photos, contacts from an old phone
- ShareIt is at times susceptible to malware and other kinds of hacks
Zapya is a peer-to-peer file transfer app similar to ShareIt, in the sense that it allows file sharing without a mobile data connection; thanks to the magic of QR codes, users can also connect mobile devices to a wireless network. Also like ShareIt, Zapya can backup data from an old device and transfer it to the new device as well.
It also shares large-sized files quickly, between multiple devices which are connected to the same Wi-Fi network and have the Zapya app installed on them. If you are fond of playing games, you can even use Zapya as a LAN and start playing games with friends and colleagues.
Moreover, it offers support for multiple languages, and there are no file size restrictions around either.
- Quick file sharing (5MB per second)
- Strong LAN & other local area network capabilities
- Group sharing with four simultaneously connected devices
- Video & music file playback
- The built-in media player lacks support for HD videos
- It’s impossible to share files from a Zapya device to a non-Zapya device
Pushbullet supports quick sharing of notifications, website links and files from a browser to your phone, desktop, and tablet. So, if you find it difficult to type text messages on a mobile phone, then use Pushbullet to type the words using a computer’s keyboard and send them via your phone to the actual recipient.
Moreover, links can be shared across all your devices with this app, without having to send them via email.
For example, you can share the URL link of this article with another device to read it later. Similarly, automatically downloaded files can be opened right from the notifications itself, the sharing functionality extends to your friends’ devices, which have the Pushbullet app installed.
The mobile app also enables you to share messages and files with friends in a manner quite similar to a few other popular chatting apps.
- Browser extensions for Chrome, Opera & Firefox
- Pushbullet has apps on iOS, Android, PC & Mac
- Doesn’t need multiple devices to be connected over the same network to transfer files
- Feature named “Remote Files” requests files and pushes them to a phone (Android & Windows)
- The mobile apps can only send one file at a time
- Sharing multiple files at once is quite tedious
- The free version only sends files smaller than 25MB
- Only offers storage space of 2GB
Xender is both a file sharing and a file manager app since it enables users to backup, view, transfer or delete files, as per your requirements. The app also empowers the transferring of any file at any time, and from any place across your range of devices or even with friends; by using the group connectivity option, which can connect four devices at a time.
It also allows you to share pictures with friends, by just swiping at the pics. You can even view music and video files with the app’s free version.
Moreover, you can look at the apps available on friends’ phones, when your devices are connected appropriately. The apps can then be shared via a single click. Also, like ShareIt and Zapya, Xender does not require any USB cables or a mobile data connection.
- Extracts APK files & makes a backup of specific versions
- Web version connects PC to Android & a Mac to iOS
- Offers file transfer speeds of around 10MB per second
- Supports a lot more languages than Zapya does
- File sharing can done with participating devices the same network
- Doesn’t have any limitations on file sizes
- To initiate file sharing between two devices, Xender must be open on both and they must share a Wi-Fi hotspot
Infinit supports free and unlimited file transfers across devices over a reliable internet connection, or even over a well-connected Wi-Fi network. You can use it to send large-sized files to a personal email account.
Infinit also allows you to share links to screenshots quickly, even with the free version. For advanced features, such as password protection, custom domains, and expiration dates for links, one of the three premium versions must be purchased.
- Files are secured using bank-level encryption during transfers
- Timeline tracking shows where all files are sent or received
- You receive notifications whenever someone downloads a sent file
- The unique point-to-point file sharing technology used by Infinit gives it fast file transfer speeds
- Going offline suddenly due to an internet disconnection will not cancel a file transfer that’s in progress
- There is a 10GB file size restriction for every file transfer
After looking at these five useful free file sharing apps, we feel that Xender is the best pick of the lot, even though it faces stiff competition from ShareIt and Zapya. Having tested the transfer of movie files with all the above apps, we found that Xender is slightly quicker than its closest competitors.
Sign up for our newsletter
to get the latest on new releases and more.
Also, it gives us the ability to transfer files using a Wi-Fi hotspot, without putting any burden on our mobile internet connection. Moreover, it supports cross-platform file transfers and allows us to view media files with ease.
Finally, it also offers the unique ability to backup specific versions of apps. We hope the above review of the top five free file sharing apps proved useful to you. If you’ve used any of these five apps before, please feel free to share your experiences in the comments section below.